Saturday, April 28, 2012

Spring has Sprung

I start off every spring with the best intentions.
I drool over garden pictures in magazine and online.
You know the pictures,
lush green lawns and gorgeous flower beds.
Not a weed in site.

I know the sheer amount of time and energy
(both of which I have very little)
it takes to create those masterpieces.

Last year I grew pretty successful potted herb garden.
It was the first time ever and I was so proud!!

This year, with lots of helpful tips from a good friend, I am going full on garden beds!

I have a good sized backyard,
that needs mowing.
a sprinkler system and some small planted beds.
you can see the Yoshuna Weeping Cherry tree in the corner.
We planted it the year before Michael was born and I adore the pink blooms that change to white.
I blooms right before his birthday and gives me such good memories.
I also have a few transplanted azaleas bushes
and large bunch of Cannas near the house.


For the new beds I decided to plant near the fence.
This gave the herbs last year some shade and they didn't get over watered.
Here you can see my new plants just waiting for a new home.
You can also see my weedy pots from last year. :)


I plotted out 2 of the fence sections which are 6 feet each and
then came out about 18 inches.
I tried to use my EdgeHog to break up the grass, which helped.
But I did end up digging most of the grass up with a shovel.
Talk about hard work!


This method took longer than I expected, so I only got one full bed completed.
The other bed is about 50% so far.

I wanted to take the bed out to meet the cherry tree, 
but I think I need to borrow or rent a tiller.

Here are my plants all laid out and partially planted.
It just needs additional planting soil and mulch.

From right to left I've planted:
Blueberry
Red Hot Poker
Columbine
Iris
Salvia
Clematis
Columbine
Iris


Here they are all finished up.


Not too bad. :)


The second bed will hold my herbs and veggie.
More to come on that
AND
you'll get to see the update on cleanup and decor of the patio.


Yeahhhhhh...
Lots and lots of more work to come.


Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. Good luck with your garden! It IS hard getting everything prepared, isn't it? Found you over at Randee's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melysa,

    Your garden is going to be great when it grows in! We planted three blueberry plants last year, and the bunnies kept munching on them. I'm hoping to actually get some berries this year.

    I'm visiting from the Sunday Round up party. I would love it if you stopped by my blog.

    Thanks for sharing,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm working on the same thing and it is a workload. much harder than I expected. good luck! visiting from the show n' tell party

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gardening can be hard work, sometimes the ground feels like cement. You're sure making progress. Your plants will look great when they fill in. Keep plugging away and soon it will be where you want it. Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration over at Sunday's Best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great so far! I'm sure it's really grown over the last week with all the rain and warm weather.

    I wanted to let you know I nominated you for a Liebster award!
    http://joinuspullupachair.blogspot.com/2012/05/sharing-love.html

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a note, we love hearing from you!