Friday, February 17, 2012

Excuse me Mom, we have a little problem...

If you have younger children, you know hearing that phrase is not a good sign.

I hear it often from my 4 year old.
Sometimes it's funny.
Like when he informs me the problem is that we have run out of cookies.
Sometimes it's fine.
Like he can't find his favorite toy, which is just misplaced.

This time it definitely was a problem.
He called out of from his bathroom, when he was supposed to be brushing his teeth.
He insists he can do by himself, now.
"I am a big boy, Mom."

I stroll in and find this little surprise.
What an embarrassing pic.  I think he was having a tooth paste party.


Me: "Michael, how did you clog the sink?"
Him:  "I don't know." (insert doe eyes)
Me:  (taking a closer look) "Is that toilet paper?!?"
Him:  "I don't know." (more doe eyes and added blinks)


Yup, toilet paper.

We normally use draino for clogs, but I hate the chemical smell.
Since the clog was in his bathroom, I was even more hesitant to use it.
Besides, we were out of draino, anyway

WAIT!
Didn't I read on Pinterest on the virtues of Baking Soda and Vinegar?
Off to the laptop and a few clicks later, success!
While there are a ton of sites, I used this link by Tidy Mom

Super Simple:

1 cup of distilled vinegar
1/2 cup of baking soda.

Both of which I had in the kitchen! Score!!


Sprinkle the baking soda as close to the drain as possbile.


Pour the vinegar on top.
The combination will bubble up.
Just let it work it's magic for approximately 10 - 15 minutes.


I walked away and came back to an empty sink!


Then run hot water in the drain for about 30 seconds and you are all done!


No chemical smells.
No corrosive acids.
Just an cheap and effective solution!
Want to add a nice scent?  Pour a bit of lemon juice in the drain.
Next time you have a clog, try it. I know I will used this tip again.

Here is a much more presentable picture of his sink after all was cleaned up.
Also, after I explained that you should use tooth paste as finger paints
and that you should not shove TP into the sink drain
in an attempt to clean up the evidence.

If this is 4, 5 should be interesting. :)


XOXO,
Photobucket

Linking up to these great parties:

Monday - Craftomaniac *  Sarahndipities *  Skip to my Lou * Mad in Crafts * Keeping It Simple * Sumo's Sweet Stuff * C.R.A.F.T. * Making The World Cuter * Alderberry Hill * So Very Creative * Singing Three Little Birds *Ask Anna * Get Outta My Head Please * Three Mango Seeds * Lisa's Craft Blog * Polly Want a Crafter * DIY Home Sweet Home * Sew Can Do *  Cooking with Karyn * An Original Belle * Destination: Craft * Toastie Studio
Tuesday - Tip Junkie * Sugarbee Crafts * Funky Polkadot Giraffe * My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia * Crafty Confessions * Home Stories A to Z * Homework * Not Just a Housewife * Project Queen *A Diamond in the Stuff * Cherished Bliss * Blackberry Vine * Uncommon * The Southern Product Queen


20 comments:

  1. Haha...I totally can see this happening in our house! I'll have to try that; we have an unexplained clog in our upstairs bathroom sink. Thanks for the idea and for sharing at shine on fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. giggle,there are no limits to the many uses for vinegar. Your sink looks nice and shiney too. hopping over from the sassy sites hop xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's just brilliant! Draino can be so expensive and my drains always seem to get clogged. This is so cheap and easy! I'm a new follower and am totally pinning this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a good idea!! I'm your newest follower visiting from Toys in the Dryer linky party!

    xo Hilary @ www.measureonce-cuttwice.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. love it- I just went and tried this in our bathroom tub. I've been waiting for my hubbie to use his heavy duty drain cleanter to make our tub drain faster. After reading this post, I went and did it myself! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ha!! You are one smart mom to know just what to do!! thanks for sharing this!!
    I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very good to know!!! Thanks for the info!

    --Katie
    @ Creatively Living

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is wonderful and so simple! Please stop over and share at Mix it up Monday:

    http://flourmewithlove.blogspot.com/2012/02/mix-it-up-monday_19.html

    I hope to see you soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brilliant! Thank you so much for sharing this! I'll have to try this for my guest bathroom. Not sure how it got clogged up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, so brilliant! Will you, pretty please, consider sharing with my readers at http://sassafrassalvation.blogspot.com/2012/02/sasss-sunday-salvation-show-12.html ?

    Hugs,

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's pretty cool to know. I hate strong chemical smells, we always have a clogged something so I jotted this down. Thanks for sharing. Thanks for sharing all your creative inspiration at Sunday's Best!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much for the tip. I have a sink that is slow to drain. I am going to give this a try! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the tip and thanks for sharing at Fabulous Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing -- I've wondered if this really works! {HUGS} Three Mango Seeds

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a note, we love hearing from you!