Sunday, August 26, 2012

Fast Wire Shelving Surface Solution


All of the closets and shelving in our house is the standard
builders grade wire stuff.

A few years ago we removed the wire shelf in our laundry room 
and installed a nice 3 door cabinet. 
Other than that, all shelving has remained the same.

And if you have wire shelving you know how much fun it can be.
Especially in a pantry.  
All the little boxes or envelopes that tip over or
settle into the gaps between the wires.
I felt like my pantry was always in disarray.
I will hang my head in shame and embarrassment and show you my pantry.
::::wincing::::


Told you it was a big old mess.


I considered updating to deeper wooden shelves, 
but I'm still working up the nerve to mess with the power tools and math 
of creating shelves.
Enter Pinterest.
I was flipping through the decor board and saw THIS pin as a quick solution
for those pesky wire shelves.

During my vacation, I headed over to Lowes to pick up some stick tiles.
I didn't like any of the patterns, and the cheapest box was about $18.
So, then I headed over to Home Depot.
Same thing.
I was frustrated, and decided to wander around a bit.
I found the contact paper section, that had more styles I liked, but was flimsy.
The cork contact paper was much more sturdy,
But I wasn't sure if it would be easy to clean.
Plus, it was brown. 
Bleh.

Then I saw this product in the wire shelving aisle.



I had no idea it existed.
Shelf Liner!
And at $7.98 a roll, it was a pretty good deal.
They had 2 different size depths so I grabbed one of each.
Turns out the one above was the exact dimension of my shelves.
So I took the smaller roll back and got another one of the larger roll.

Installation was a breeze.
All you need is are scissors and measuring tape.
Honestly, the hardest part was having to remove all the junk from the shelves.

So here's the how to:
Clean out your shelf.


Measure the length.
You don't have to worry about the depth if you pick the right sized roll.
See how I have that wonky angle.
I was going to worry about that in the next step.


Cut out the length. 


I laid the liner on the shelf and bent the angle forward.
I then took my scissors and cut along the bend.


Tada!
Those little cut outs you see is how the liner connects to the shelf.
You push them through between two wires.
No adhesive.
They are pre-cut and spaced about every 6 inches on the liner.


I used that first liner as a template for my five shelves.
I used one entire roll and about 1/2 of the other.
I have enough left over for one more liner and extra.

So here is the finished product!
With all the food back in place and organized. 
Which took FOREVER.


I can actually see what I have in there.


I feel like I have tons more room.



And I'm significantly less embarrassed.


I'd recommend this product for anyone with wire shelves.
I wish I had found out about it sooner.

Photobucket



Tuesday - Tip Junkie * Sugarbee Crafts * Funky Polkadot Giraffe * My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia * Crafty Confessions * Home Stories A to Z * Homework * Not Just a Housewife * Project Queen *A Diamond in the Stuff * Cherished Bliss * Blackberry Vine * Uncommon * The Southern Product Queen * Jillify It * Naptime Delights * In the Old Road

Wednesday - Someday Crafts *Sew Much Ado * Tea Rose Home *A Little Tipsy * The Thrifty Home * Fireflies and Jellybeans * My Girlish Whims * Gingersnap Crafts *  Raegun Wear * The CSI ProjectThe Stuff of Success * Lil' Luna * The Sasse Life * Fine Craft Guild * Savvy Southern Style * First Home Love Life * Family Home and Life * Adorned From Above * Homestead Simple

Thursday - Somewhat Simple * The Shabbycreek Cottage * The 36th Avenue * Thrifty 101 * A Creative Princess * House of Hepworths * The Artsy Girl Connection * Katie's Nesting Spot * Between U and Me * A Glimpse Inside * Christina's Adventures * Made in a Day * Adventures in Dinner * Embracing Change * 52 Mantels * The Taylor House * Loving this crazy life * The Crafty Blog Stalker

Friday - Thirty Handmade Days * Romantic Home *Tatertots and JelloSimply Designing * Creation Corner * Blissful and Domestic * Young and Crafty * Delicate Construction * Happy Hour Projects * Sassy Sites *  Whipperberry * Little Inspiration * Serenity Now * Here Comes The Sun * Tidy Mom * Raising Oranges * Happy Go Lucky * The Grant Life * Toys in the Dryer * Fingerprints on the Fridge * Bacon Time * At the Picket Fence * Miss Mustard Seed * Chic on a Shoestring Decorating * My Turn * Craftionary

Saturday - Positively Splendid.com * Be Different Act Normal * Family Ever After *Lovely Crafty Home * Lollyjane * Funky Junk Interiors * Too Much Time On My Hands * Six Sisters Stuff * Country Momma Cooks * Nutmeg Place * Natasha in Oz * Honestly Dyea * Pam's Party Planning

Sunday - The DIY Showoff * Nifty Thrifty Things *Petite Hermine * I Heart Naptime * Flamingo Toes * Cherished Treasures *My 1929 Charmer Embellishing Life Everyday * Sunday Social * Sassafras Salvation * Heatherly Love  * Under the Table and Dreaming * Randee's Organized Chaos * It's Overflowing


14 comments:

  1. I have wire closets - I've got to get something like this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know closet maid made a shelf liner either. Like how it looks, and now you have great looking pantry - which is making me feel guilty so now I have to go clean out my pantry. thanks for the inspiration! Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration with Sunday’s Best – you helped make the party a success!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, that's a really good idea, made a big difference for you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Idea - I hate it when stuff falls over and get stuck into the little grooves and one has to literally pull it free!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea. I have a link party on Wednesdays, and I would love it if you would link this and any other posts. It is called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party. It runs from Wednesday to Sundays.
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/08/free-bee-sweet-hat-pattern-crocheted.html
    I hope to see you there. I am your newest follower, and I would love for your to follow me also. Have a great Day.
    Debi Bolocofsky
    Adorned From Above
    www.adornedfromabove.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooohhh! I had no idea they made that product. I was also going to try the tiles but this looks like a great solution. I have the wire shelves in my studio and they look cheesy (but were a cheap and easy fix when I installed them!) Thanks for posting!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Will have to look for this. Our bottom cabinets have wire shelves and this would make them look so much nicer and neater inside. And I hear you about the mess - we had our cabinets repainted recently so the doors were off for almost two weeks and it was hugely embarrassing seeing the state things were in. Thanks for linking to Craftastic Monday at Sew Can Do:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel like I'm always featuring you...I must LOVE your projects!! I'm featuring this tonight at the link party! Thanks for linking up!

    Kathryn
    destinationcraft.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea! They make some cute shelf liner too I believe! You could mix it up too!
    Thanks for linking up this week!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

    ReplyDelete
  10. My husband actually sent me that link to the tile pin one day. Big lots has tiles for around 12 a box. But you are right they are ugly. I love this idea! I am going to Lowes today!!!! I will be featuring you tomorrow! Great idea!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have those same kind of shelves in my house. I so need that liner!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG! My husband even works for a company that installs these wire shelves, I had no idea this existed!! I'm defintly going to be getting some of this!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I always say, If something isn't working, try something else. Great tip.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a note, we love hearing from you!