Saturday, December 24, 2011

Origami Flower Ornament





Isn't it pretty????
I had such a great time making this ornament. 
There is something very soothing about folding paper this way,
I don't know why, but it really was nice and calming. 

I had originally found my inspiration picture on Pinterest months ago
and knew I wanted to try this out.  
As I was doing more research on the picture, I found out this ornament is
kusudama origami.   I found lots of how-to videos on You Tube, and wanted to put together a
tutorial on how I made my
 Kusudama Origami Flower Ornament.


Here are the cast of characters:

Paper - I used my $.50 Goodwill Book (this makes crafts number 4 & 5 from this baby)
Hot Glue and Gun or Regular Glue
Scissors
Fishing Line or Ribbon



You will one piece of paper per flower petal.
And now for the math...
1 Flower = 5 petals
12 Flowers = 1 ornament
So you will need 60 pieces of paper.

The size of the paper depends on how big you want your ornament.
My book page is normal book size and the ornament is 9 inches in diameter
I was able to make a smaller version
of the ornament
from the leftover paper sliver,, each about the size of a Post It.
Very Tree Friendly.

So, in my case, pull the paper out of the book.
Next make each piece of paper square by folding the paper over in a triangle
and cut off the excess.

     
     

Move the folded paper so that the fold is down. 
Bring up and fold both side up to the middle point of the triangle.
This will make a diamond shape and will be the main shape of the petal.
Bring one side back up and wiggle your finger
inside of the it to open it up

     

     


Push the crease of that side down flat. The middle crease should be level to the paper edge underneath.
Take the tip of that same fold and bring it down and level to the paper edge underneath.

    

    

Take that same side and bring the folded edge up onto itself.
You will have your diamond shape again on that side.
Repeat the fold on the other side of the paper.

    

     

    

Now use a bit of glue on the folded edge,
bending the paper to meet the other folded edge (do not crease).
And there you have one petal.

    

    


Take five petals and glue them together to form a flower.
You will need 12 flowers to complete the ornament.
I only have 10 shown in the picture below, I miscounted...

    

    

To creat the ornament you need to line up the flowers
so that the tips touch.
Work your way around the ornament and all 12 will fall into place.
Remember to glue your fishing line or ribbon before
you place your last flower.

    

    

Add some embellishment if you want and you are done!
I added some red beads.

Jaime really liked this one, he kept saying what a great job I did.
Thanks, honey.


Some tips:

Do all your folding first, then fire up your glue gun and glue away.
Set aside some time, this project will take at least 1 hour.
If you get frustrated, watch a You Tube Tutorial like this one.
Try it, it is so worth it!








Merry Christmas!

Photobucket



Featured On:

I was featured at My 1929 Charmer!













Linking up to:

DIY under $5



 

17 comments:

  1. Beautiful flowers. Thanks for sharing the technique.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That's a lot of work AND very gorgeous. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you did a great job on your ornament. the flowers are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are beautiful! Thanks for sharing. I followed you from Funky junk link up.
    Traci

    ReplyDelete
  5. So beautiful!!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is awesome - please consider linking up to the Success U - Wednesday Linkup Party at www.thestuffofsuccess.com. Also, I am your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So pretty - please consider linking up to the Success U - Wednesday Linkup Party at www.thestuffofsuccess.com. Also, I am your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your name, love your blog and LOVE this tutorial! Going to try it soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This ornament is spectacular! I have a couple of partially used books from other projects... I think I need to try this one now. Can't let those unused chapters go to waste!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So few of us DIYer can do this! The flowers are beautiful, unique, and last forever :) Would love love love for you to share this at my Best of 2011 party going on now http://space46.blogspot.com. Happy new year! My

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this, just clicked over from Whippperberry. Will definitely have to give it a try, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is beautiful! The first time I saw these flowers I thought they'd make a fun ball, I'm glad you're not as lazy as me! Thanks for sharing, I'm your newest follower from homework.

    http://chickenscratchny.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really lovely tutorial. I love paper flowers. Thanks for sharing it :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. So great. Really beautiful. Thank you for sharing.
    liZ

    ReplyDelete
  15. Saw your pick over on Traci @ Beneath my Heart.
    WOW - love these ornaments. I will definitely be doing this for next year at Christmas time. I am going to start early on these. LOVE THIS IDEA!!!!

    Marilyn C.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful had to pin it so I make sure I have it when I have time to sit and make one!!! Thank yu for the tutorial

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a note, we love hearing from you!